This is an invitation-only comprehensive, hands-on learning experience to familiarize senior neurosurgical residents with the basics of endovascular and cerebrovascular neurosurgery, including carotid aneurysm, endarterectomy, AVM surgery and bypass techniques. Residents will learn the basics of arterial and venous femoral access for cerebral angiography and perform these techniques with animal, cadaver and simulator models. Residents will discuss practice models and when to appropriately use open versus closed techniques.
A recording of the didactic portion of this course is available to view online.
Number of Attendees (2022): 25
Upon completion of this educational activity, participants should be able to:
- Apply the basics of arterial and venous femoral access for cerebral angiography and perform these in an animal model.
- Discuss the basics of aneurysm and AVM catheterization and compare how embolic devices are delivered.
- Recognize the basics of intra-arterial delivery of thrombolytics and the use of mechanical devices to treat strokes.
- Apply the basics of carotid endarterectomy and demonstrate these in a live animal model.
- Discuss basic tenets of aneurysm surgery and practice these in a reperfused cadaver model.
Andrew W. Grande, MD, FAANS
Assistant Professor and Co-director, Earl Grande, Vel, V.
Richard Zerling Stroke, Stem Cell and Neuroimaging Laboratory,
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Minnesota
Mark D. Bain, MD, FAANS
Staff Neurosurgeon, Cerebrovascular Center
Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
Adam S. Arthur, MD, MPH, FAANS
Director of Cerebrovascular and Endovascular Neurosurgery, Semmes-Murphey Clinic
University of Tennessee
Department of Neurosurgery, Memphis, TN
Erol Veznedaroglu, MD, FAANS
Professor, Director, Drexel Neurosciences Institute, Robert A Groff Chair, College of Medicine
Department of Neurosurgery, Drexel University
Michael T. Lawton, MD, FAANS
President & Chair Department of Neurosurgery
Barrow Neurological Institute
Barrow Brain and Spine
- Brad Bohnstedt, MD, FAANS (Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN)
- Jason M. Davis, MD, PhD (Jacobs Institute University, Buffalo, NY)
- Daniel Hoit, MD, FAANS (Semmes-Murphey Clinic, Memphis, TN)
- Babak S. Jahromi, MD, PhD, FAANS (Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL)
- Michael Levitt, MD, FAANS (University of Washington, Seattle, WA)
- James K. Liu, MD, FAANS (Rutgers New Jersery Medical School, Newark, NJ)
- Shahid Mehdi Nimjee, MD, PhD, FAANS (Ohio State University, Columbus, OH)
- Joshua Osbun, MD, FAANS (Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO)
- Eric C. Peterson, MD, FAANS (University of Miami Health Center, Miami, FL)
- Eric Sauvageau MD (Baptist Health, Jacksonville, FL)
- Alejandro Spiotta, MD, FAANS ( Med. University of SC/Neurosciences, Charleston, SC)
- Stacey Wolfe, MD, FAANS (Wake Forest Baptist Health, Winston-Salem, NC)
MERI Lab (Memphis, TN)
September 28-30, 2023
The NREF gratefully acknowledges the following companies for their support of the 2022 course:
NOTE: Agenda and Faculty Members subject to change.